Friday, February 19, 2010

CNet Review of Sony Bloggie MHS CM5 Camcorder

I have been good about controlling my desire to have almost every camera and camcorder in the world. I'm feeling a little shaky though; 5x zoom on a web camcorder can do that to a person.

This is CNet's David Carnoy's video review of the Sony Bloggie MHS CM5:



Checking the Specs


A quick saunter over to the camcorder's specification page has interesting goodies. I like the dual storage for Memory Stick and SD/SDHC card. You can never have too much storage and it is good that Sony moved a bit on the proprietary memory. Compromise is good.

Recoding times are decent for a web camcorder. It doesn't mean much to me if the battery life is only 1 hour. On the web site it states "1.9W @ 720 30p Recording". I don't know how to convert a 3.6 volt into watts to find out how long the battery will last.

And I shouldn't have to either, it should be on the specs page. I'll ask one of the folks at the Videoblogging group for an answer.

2/20/2010 Update:

David Jones was able to give me the skivvy on how to do the calculations and the battery time:

You can't tell just from the voltage rating, you need to know the
watt-hour rating. According to: http://www.sony.co.uk/product/dcc-batteries---chargers/np-bk1 the battery is rated at 3.4Wh, which means ideally it can deliver 3.4W for 1 hour, or any ratio there-of.

So if the camera takes 1.9W that's a battery life of 1.8 hours
continuous recording (3.4Wh/1.9W).

There are other technical factors involved, but that's a fairly good best case approximation.
My experience has been with other camcorders is 60 to 90 minutes depending on what you are doing and for how long.

It has got a 3.3 lens with shutter speeds from 1.5 to 4000? Seriously? I'd have to see the video and put in my guess when pixilation will occur. Still, I wouldn't mind testing it out if I wasn't on camcorder lock down.

On the negative side no external mic jack and the Picture Motion Browswer software?

Erf.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love actual comments. Please understand that comments will be held until I get a chance to look them over or wake up, whichever comes first.

Spam and other forms of hate speech are not welcome here. And due to the actions of spam bots and the people that love them moderation is in full effect.