Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Musings on Miro Video Converter - MTS video to iPad Format

I think I'm on to something here. A brief recap, I bought a Canon VIXIA HF R10 camcorder that records MTS video. It was $199.99 and I would feel rooked it I paid more for it.

The camcorder and I are working it out. It is not bad camcorder but it isn't great either. Canon can and has done better. We are in our Lemonade phase.

For some of the video editing software programs I need to convert the video. I'm testing out different applications like Miro Video Converter.

Miro to iPad Conversion

Now Canon claims that the video is 1920x1080 but in reality it records in 1664x936 and upscales to 1920x1080. This is not good but these are the facts. Since I don't need to record at the upper level I have some flexibility.

So I shoot the video through the Miro iPad conversion filter. I opened QuickTime and looked at the Movie Inspector.

QuickTime Movie Inspector

The video renders at 1365x768. That is a non-standard video size but it is just a hop, skip and a jump to 1280x720. The video quality is acceptable and the sound is ok.

If it can take a bite out of the file size and maintain video quality it would be a win for me. Uploading 200+ MB on my standard DSL connection is not time efficient.

This might be doable. I still have to de-interlace the video and can use MPEG Streamclip for that but this could be a better option than using the default MP4 conversion filter. There may be some tinny sound issues with that filter; I'm not sure.

Testing continues. Running Back to the lab.

Related Posts

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love actual comments. Please understand that comments will be held until I get a chance to look them over or wake up, whichever comes first.

Spam and other forms of hate speech are not welcome here. And due to the actions of spam bots and the people that love them moderation is in full effect.