Monday, May 30, 2011

Thoughts on Creating A Header Graphic for Blip.tv

I need to create a header graphic for my Blip.tv account. I have a series of 350+ videos but not necessarily a web series. Well, I do now and I have to dress up the joint.

I really don’t want to switch to another video web host, I like the service. I’m not that keen on paying for boilerplate graphics. I might have to but I want to see what I can do.

These are the requirements as I understand them:
  • The header graphic size is 980 wide by 400 tall saved in the jpeg or png format
  • Aim for simplicity
  • Give a sense of what your show is about
  • Can't use a screen shot of my web site
  • Can't put my blog's web address in the header
  • Can't cram too much text or photos
  • Can't use copyrighted images


Web Series Concept


If I commit to the concept of having a web series then I need to be able to communicate what my show is about. I had to write a 150 text statement and before I could do that I had to reflect on what I have currently uploaded.
For Out On the Stoop I record my adventures and encounters in Los Angeles. I also record some of the poets for Poetry In Plain Sight that also appears on my blog.
For the time being, I'm going to support the Out on the Stoop blog and use that as the focus of the header.

What Do I Have?


I got photos and can extract screen captures from my videos. That is the good news.

If you are a for profit or commercial blog or web site you cannot use images of other people for profit generating purposes without their signed written permission. You will need to have a written release to be totally safe or you need to make use of royalty-free photos.
  1. http://www.morguefile.com

  2. http://openphoto.net

  3. http://freerangestock.com
There are exceptions for news photos or photos taken in public but I would be extremely careful and make sure you have documented how you came to take the photo or record the event.

I have an intentionally non-commercial blog. I have written or video permission to record individuals but I still have to be careful about using images of people.

Software and Resources


I have Irfanview which is the a free and simple photo editing program. I also have Corel PaintShop Pro X3 that has a side module that creates collages, SnagIt for screen captures and editing.

For animation banners I have an old version of Swish Max. I’ve got PowerPoint. As far as software is concerned I have an abundance of riches. I really can’t list all the stuff I have. I’ve forgotten.

That is the project for the week and yes, there will be video support that I’ll scrounge up from other folks or I’ll conjure it up myself.

I’m starting with the header because if I can’t do the header I certainly can’t do the poster. It would certainly save me time if I hired someone to do this for me. I don’t want to dismiss that option.

Part of the new frontier is that you have to have more than one skill set. Being flexible and adaptable is the name of the game. That creativity thing is a hill I'll have to cross when I come to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love actual comments. Please understand that comments will be held until I get a chance to look them over or wake up, whichever comes first.

Spam and other forms of hate speech are not welcome here. And due to the actions of spam bots and the people that love them moderation is in full effect.