Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Pain - I've Got Background Noise In My Video

I had the great pleasure of attending the Blogging While Brown Conference 2011 here in Los Angeles.

The session rooms were large. The microphones set-up either worked, half worked or didn't work at all. And the hum of the air conditioner was everywhere.

This is not a good thing for giving a presentation. It is worse for those that are recording them. To add to my misery, I left the Zoom H1 at home. It would not have helped with the wicked background noise but it would have given me better sound quality.

I can sit as close as possible and encourage the speakers to amp it up but there wasn't much more I could do.

Camcorder Options


On some camcorders there is a feature that allows you to have the microphone follow the focus. Flip that bad boy on if you have it. I don't.

You camcorder might have other audio features like adjusting the gain or monitoring sound levels.

Reviewing the Videos


This is a one time only event. I have good content but bad audio in a video really irritates people. I'm one of them.

The hum in the video is bad. Two of the speakers are not projecting; one person is a naturally soft spoken person. I 'may not be able to use any of that footage. The other folks are salvageable if I can get rid of the of the noise.

The choices come down to:
  • Add captions. I have friends that strongly encourage me to do this anyway but I still have to make the audio less annoying.
  • Not show the videos. The world will still turn if I do not upload them.
  • Fix the audio as best I can and upload. I have really good moments and I don't have to meet broadcast television standards. Still, bad audio is not desirable.
I'm trying out the various answers. The problem is that I'm not an audio engineer. I need accessible answers that do not involve purchasing a $600 audio suite.

This is what I have so far:

  • Masking the background noise using music
  • Using Audacity's Noise Reducing filter
  • Understanding and using High Pass and Low Pass filters
That is in addition to some of the software products I am discovering. I'm on the hunt for plain English usable suggestions on reducing background noise in the videos.

I'll keep you posted on what I find.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love actual comments. Please understand that comments will be held until I get a chance to look them over or wake up, whichever comes first.

Spam and other forms of hate speech are not welcome here. And due to the actions of spam bots and the people that love them moderation is in full effect.