Sunday, August 21, 2011

Video Post Mortem 3 or Leaning The Wrong Way

Well, you get one problem solved and another arrives to teach you a new lesson. I kept looking at the video, something wasn't right. Then I really looked at it.

The speaker was leaning to one side. Using the table as a point of reference there is more table on the left side of the screen than there is on the right.

Uneven Tripod EffectGadzooks. I think it was one of the tripod legs not fully extended or the head of the tripod wasn't level. I do have a level gauge on the tripod but it is real obvious I did not double check it.

To solve the problem what I did was to use the Pan and Zoom feature in my video editing program. It is a form of video cropping. I tried to isolate the speaker from the table and the lines that were providing clues to that the video not being level.

Let me emphasis this isn't a good solution; especially with standard definition video. I am recording in high definition. That isn't a good reason to do this unless you don't have a choice.

Using the Pan and Zoom feature will reduce the quality of the video.

So that is what I did. It would have worked better if there wasn't decorative lines on the wall or if I could have gotten rid of the chairs.

The best I could do was minimize the problem.

The lesson for today is that I need to make sure each tripod leg is fully extended and that level bubble is indeed level.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love actual comments. Please understand that comments will be held until I get a chance to look them over or wake up, whichever comes first.

Spam and other forms of hate speech are not welcome here. And due to the actions of spam bots and the people that love them moderation is in full effect.