Thursday, June 17, 2010

YouTube Video Editor - Kinda Sorta

I learned from the Unofficial Google Operating System that there is a new video editing feature at YouTube. It seems you do have to be a YouTube member to access it.


I have prior videos uploaded so I gave it a go. That is what is being represented in the Selection area in the upper left corner. The Preview window allows you to see the video.

I was able to drag and drop videos into the storyboard/timeline area. I also checked out the audio music tracks. Some of the audio tracks will produce ads if you include them with your video.

You can select and edit a clip but it isn't clear how to do that. There are no instructions, at all. I'm a click and see what happens kind of gal and that was the only way I was able to figure out what was going on.

Editing in this case means just cut or selecting the section of the video you want.

The application exist but not really. If Google is going to keep this video editor I'm sure that there will be some kind of guide. And added features. And instructions.

Still I Gotta Ask, Why?

To be honest, I am a little perplexed. Most folks edit their videos before they upload. I don't see that ability in this current version.

On the one hand this would be great for those folks that don't want to buy video editing software and yet keep asking is there a free video editing application.

The short answer to that one is yes, you probably have it on your computer already; if you are a Mac user you have iMovie. Windows XP or Vista users have Windows Movie Maker2. Windows 7 folks have to download Windows Live Movie Maker.

Even Linux users have Open Shot Movie Editor.

On the other hand, clogging up the bandwidth with raw videos that may or may not be edited? I don't get it.

My point is unless Google wants to encourage the creation of compilation videos I just don't understand. Goodness knows it can't be to encourage folks to upload raw video, store it on Google servers and then edit so that users can embed more ads?

Naw.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love actual comments. Please understand that comments will be held until I get a chance to look them over or wake up, whichever comes first.

Spam and other forms of hate speech are not welcome here. And due to the actions of spam bots and the people that love them moderation is in full effect.