Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Computer Memory - When Your Putt-Putt Needs A Boost

I've had my current computer for about three or four years now. It is almost but not quite time for me to get a new one but old faithful has been good to me.

Still, I look over at the multi-core CPUs and I feel longings. This is not just my tech-lust talking. If you edit or compress video the more juice under the hood the better. There are things I can do to help my current system stay in the game.


One of those things is to increase the memory. This isn't hard but it does mean opening the computer case. The photo above is to a vendor called Crucial.com. I've purchased from them before. They make it really easy.

You pop in the name of the manufacture, the product line and the model number. Crucial will find the right RAM memory for your computer.

Some of us have no-name or plain vanilla computers. No problem. They have a scanner module that can find the correct RAM for your computer.

Crucial isn't the only place to buy memory online but I like the memory finding feature. You can also get memory from places like Amazon.com. Try to stay with known quality vendors or retailers that you trust. There are gray market shady dealers who offer too good to be true pricing; you don't want to get mixed up with them.

You can also purchase via retail stores like Best Buy or Fry's however you will need all of your information to make sure you get the right memory for your computer.

Or you could take you computer to the store to have them upgrade for you. There will be an additional charge for labor and multiple offers to up-sell other services but if you are squeamish about installing memory it is a option.

So before you pitch beloved see if a memory boost will help. Then again, if beloved computer is over five years old the answer might be no.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love actual comments. Please understand that comments will be held until I get a chance to look them over or wake up, whichever comes first.

Spam and other forms of hate speech are not welcome here. And due to the actions of spam bots and the people that love them moderation is in full effect.