Monday, March 21, 2011

Philip Bloom On the Realities of DSLR Video

One of the things I've learned is that the answers to questions do not necessarily have to be generated by the American tech media. I was on YouTube and was looking at a camcorder test video from CNet Australia.

I hang around the CNet U.S. site all the time. I didn't think there would be anything on the Australian site that would interest me. No disrespect intended; camcorders have different product number or names. There are camcorders that are sold in Europe and Asia that are not sold in the U.S.



Wrong, so wrong. I found this interview with filmmaker Philip Bloom who is giving the straight skivvy on recording video with DSLR cameras. Where every video on this side of the creek is practically a DSLR love fest this guy is talking about the working problems with audio, lens and the ergonomics of using the camera.

The other thing I like about this video is that it takes its time. You don't need the flash bam all of the time. I got 19 minutes to listen and reflect on what he has to say. I stuff my iPod and Zune with a bunch of podcast for my down time.

I'm not saying one presentation style is better than the other. The Quick Look videos on the U.S. site help me to get to know different gear.

But they rarely talk about the process or the people that use the equipment. There is a reason for the tech and it ain't always about the gear; it is what you do with it.

I like this video. I think I need to do more snooping to see what else the CNet Aussies are talking about. This is the kind of stuff I want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love actual comments. Please understand that comments will be held until I get a chance to look them over or wake up, whichever comes first.

Spam and other forms of hate speech are not welcome here. And due to the actions of spam bots and the people that love them moderation is in full effect.