Friday, July 1, 2011

Making A Decision on Getting A New Computer

I keep putting this off but it is time. Old faithful is telling me that our days together are numbered. I have a CPU widget on my desktop. It doesn't take much to lock it up into the red zone. Once that happens I can either find something else to do or enter a meditative state of being.

The reality is that upgrades to Firefox, IE9, iTunes and new versions of video editing programs are giving my poor baby fits of madness. I just dread the thought.

It isn't just the cost but the transfer of software, licenses and assorted thing-a-mobobs. I now also have to figure out what is a 2011 video editing computer.

What Do I Need Versus What I Want?

  • Power. Pure unadulterated power. I want stuff to happen in a half of a blink of an eye. I can just about afford a batting of the eye. This translates into I would like to have an i7 CPU but I can just about afford an i5.
  • I must have more RAM, I'm thinking at least 6GB minimum.
  • 2 or more Terabytes for the hard drive. I do have external drives so if I can get the CPU up to snuff then I can always install another internal drive later.
  • A separate video graphics card with memory on board would be nice but that is going to up the cost. This time it might be worth it.
  • Another thought is that I might consider getting a laptop that is used only for video editing.
For the record, I have to stick with the Windows operating system. I dallied for a moment about going Mac. The new Final Cut Pro X is a tasty bit of kit but the way the Pro/Am video circuit has been wailing about how bad it is put me off of it.

I don't know. If I got my hands on it I'd probably like it just fine but I'm not liking the whole cleave under me for everything Apple is proposing.

Still, it is all I can do to stay out of the Apple stores. I keep thinking that if I get an iTouch that will let me edit video on the fly that would solve my problems. No, it wouldn't. It would be the start of the iCash Register. I have to stay away from the Siren.

So yeah, I gotta do this and soon. Oh, one more thing, I am not opposed to getting a refurbished, overstock or new computer. My new gizmo will be the computer that meets my needs and budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love actual comments. Please understand that comments will be held until I get a chance to look them over or wake up, whichever comes first.

Spam and other forms of hate speech are not welcome here. And due to the actions of spam bots and the people that love them moderation is in full effect.