Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Researching Buying A New Computer

My poor PC is grunting, cycling and otherwise showing signs that the end days are near. This is not a good thing when I have to crank out a bunch of work, both text and video.

I have a back-up laptop if things go bad quicker than I expect. I have been checking out possible new video editing PC specs.

The frugalista side of me is in conflict with the nerd/geek girl who wants what she wants. That would be a $2,900 Maingear's Vybe Super Stock.



Naw, babe, ain't gonna happen.

My budget is $1,000 and under. As much under as I can get it. This is what I have identified so far as my minimum PC specs:

Processor:
Intel 2nd Generation Core i5 or higher or AMD Phenom II 4 or higher

RAM Memory:
6GB or higher

Hard Drive:
1 Terrabyte

Video Graphics Card:
Looking at separate video graphics card on the motherboard or the ability to install one later.

DVD or Blue-Ray Drive:
Not really an issue. If the new system comes with a Blue-Ray drive that would be nice but I'm not seeking it out or paying extra for it.

Operating System:
Windows 7. I need to decide between the 32 bit or 64 bit version. Some of my existing software will not run on a 64 bit machine. It is still functional software and I hate to kick it to the curb.

Then again, it might be time to do so.

Memory Card Reader:
Prefer that it is built-in and capable of accepting SXDC cards. However, I could buy an USB external reader.

My Current Buying Information Sources:

Consumer Reports.org – I have a subscription to the on-line version
CNet Desktop Reviews and Buying Guide
Videoguy's System Recommendations for Video Editing

The new computer has got to last me at least three years so I have to choose wisely. But I do like the look of the Vybe Super Stock.

Be still my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love actual comments. Please understand that comments will be held until I get a chance to look them over or wake up, whichever comes first.

Spam and other forms of hate speech are not welcome here. And due to the actions of spam bots and the people that love them moderation is in full effect.