Monday, August 8, 2011

Know Where Your Stuff Is - Organize Your Workflow

It took far to long to get this concept into my head. You do have to organize your videos. It doesn't take a lot of time but it is necessary. I mentioned this at the BlogHer11 Geek Bar but I want to make sure everyone understands what I am talking about.


File Folder Workflow


Audio and Music Folder
I have non-commercial blogs. In the past I have used music that required me to cite the original source of the music via attribution or other conditions.

In addition I have used music in the public domain and music by authors that allowed for commercial use, again via attribution. In addition to my computer folder I have the print out from the web page so that I can show where I got the music from and the condition of use.

No Permission
These are for videos that I do not have permission from the participants to display. I record poets in the San Gabriel Valley. There are some poets that leave the room before I could ask permission or have told me after I recorded to not to upload the video. I separate these from the permitted videos into this folder. When in doubt, do not upload without permission.

Photos and Screenshots
I like to make sure that in addition to shooting video I have background or reference photos of the event. Some of the video web hosting services also require you to have a separate thumbnail of the video. That can be obtained from the source video using a function found in many video editing programs.

Uploaded
This is the final copy of the video that will be uploaded. It is a good idea to double check this copy for error or goofs before uploading.

Video
This is my working copy of the video I want to edit. I try to make a copy to be placed on a DVD and then have a working copy or a transcoded copy of the video to work from. If something goes wrong I can pull the copy from the DVD.

Never goof up your one and only original copy of the video.


Other Posts of Interests

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love actual comments. Please understand that comments will be held until I get a chance to look them over or wake up, whichever comes first.

Spam and other forms of hate speech are not welcome here. And due to the actions of spam bots and the people that love them moderation is in full effect.