Tuesday, September 6, 2011

First Impressions on JVC Everio GZ-HM30

I just got it a few moments ago. This is one of the smallest camcorder I have ever handled. To recap, a few days back I was at a weak moment I head on over to Woot and there appears before my eyes doing the screen version of "I wonder if you'll take me home."


I did.and eight days later I have my own personal un-boxing moment with the GZ-HM30. If you have seen one un-boxing video you've seen them all.

If you have to see the un-boxing then check out this video from Woods72. He is un-packing a new camcorder. I bought a refurbished model. No memory card, no case but everything else was in the box.



Grip and Handling

I do not have big hands but can get a good grip on the camcorder body. My right thumb lands on the record button. The strap that comes with the camcorder is adjustable and allows for cinching a secure connection with the body.

Controls

When you open the LCD Monitor you can see the buttons/controls. Let me tell you the buttons are small. Really small.  And they only work one way. The Up buttons move through the menu choices one way. You have to pressing the left side of the button to navigate.Pressing the right side of the button does nothing.

This is where being a girl person comes in handy. I have enough of a finger nail to activate the button Using the pad of my finger required more effort.

The menu choices are clear but you do need to consult the manual to figure out what they mean with the JVC terminology: They don't use HD and SD except in the manual.

For your edification, this is what I can figure out using the recording times on an 8GB SDHC/SDXC Memory Card:

LS = 1280x720 High Definition with a recording time of 1 hour and 30 minutes.
LE = 1280x720 High Definition with a recording time  of  3 hours and 40 minutes.
SSW/SS = 720x480 Standard Definition with a recording time of 2 hours and 50 minutes.
SEW/SW = 720x480 Standard Definition widescreen with a recording time of 5 hours and 50 minutes.

The battery that comes with it only last for 40 minutes. Funny how that always seems to be the case.I'm going to have it on a tripod and plugged in most of the time so no worries about running out of space.

No promises but I'll try to give it a shake out soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love actual comments. Please understand that comments will be held until I get a chance to look them over or wake up, whichever comes first.

Spam and other forms of hate speech are not welcome here. And due to the actions of spam bots and the people that love them moderation is in full effect.