I'm still going to do my annual screed about buying cheap, knock off camcorders. Later. When I have time.
For the moment, I want to propose that for folks that know what they are doing, that have experience with shooting and recording video that there are Holga type equivalent camcorders to play with and find their inner goodness.
Let me emphasize that I really don't want folks buying crappy products. But if somebody gave you this crap why not play with it? You know, before it totally craps out on you. Or if is on a $5 clearance table then go for it if you REALLY UNDERSTAND THE RISK YOU ARE TAKING when you buy a cheap camcorder.
That said, let's take a look at a possible camcorder equivalent of the Holga. Hello Kitty Video Recorder, manufactured by Sakar International.
I have looked at the Sakar web site. There is no mention of the Hello Kitty Video Recorder. There are other Hello Kitty items listed but not of this camcorder. Keep this in mind if you run into problems. You are on your own.
- Under $50
- Records in .avi this could be an advantage for older Windows XP or Mac users who have trouble importing .mp4 video.
- Standard SD Memory Card
- Internal Mic with Mono Audio
- LCD is 1.8 inches. That is small.
- You will need to stock up on AA batteries and get a SD Memory Card in order to use the camcorder. A standard 4GB card should run you no more than $12 and you might even see them as low as $5.
That is it. Part of the joy of buying a cheap camcorder is that you don't know what you are getting unless you look at the package. Even then it can be a mystery.
Prior Posts on Buying A Camcorder:
- Why Do You Want or Need A Camcorder?
- Five Resources to Check Before Buying A Camcorder
- Camcorder Specs - What Is In A Name?