Sunday, May 23, 2010

Philips GoGear Cam MP3 Player Video

I can explain. See, I was walking around Target. It happens that I was oogling the Kodak Zi8 again. $179 and it could be mine.

I can't lie, I miss high-def video. I loved that I could take good quality photos with my gone and lamented Kodak Zi6. The thing is I just bought a really good standard definition camcorder.

My own house rules dictate that I am not allowed to purchase another camcorder for 9 months or so. Which I have violated twice this year on crappy under $100 camcorders. It was for the blog true, but I don't need another camcorder.



I'm walking away from the Kodak Zi8 trying to justify buying it. I turn the corner and see this mp3 player with video camera. I try to check it out but it is locked. Hmm, anti-thief device.

I walk around the store and find inexpensive 4GB SD cards. I pick one up. I sigh. I know what I am about to do. I look at the Kodak and buy the Philips GoGear.

This is a test of the GoGear's video quality. It ain't that bad. It isn't great but I don't need great. I need something that I can use without worrying that I'm going to bang it to death in my purse. I got a padded sock for this rascal.


Philips GoGear MP3 Player with Camera

The specs are basic:
  • Video format is the Mpeg 4 in a .avi container. This means I don't have to convert. I can pop it into 97.3% of video editing program without a problem.
  • Microphone for mono recording. That is with video or without if I want to dictate notes to myself.
  • Recording time is about two hours or when the battery dies. The good news is that it is not a proprietary power cord like the Zune or the Sansa Fuze. I have a plug that can recharge USB so I'm good to go anyplace any time.
  • Can shoot still images.
So yeah. I'm good. As a friend put it I might have a shoe problem only with cameras and camcorders.

I can live with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love actual comments. Please understand that comments will be held until I get a chance to look them over or wake up, whichever comes first.

Spam and other forms of hate speech are not welcome here. And due to the actions of spam bots and the people that love them moderation is in full effect.