Thursday, July 7, 2011

Finding the Story at The Ladies Market

Kai Wong is the host of DigitalRevTV and he is photographer. What interest me about sharing the video below is the unintended travelog he and his videographer Lok created about the Ladies Market in, I believe, Hong Kong.



There is more than one narrative going on in this video. Kai is certainly talking about the lens for the Nikon camera but you also get a sense of the environment and his connection to that place.

I loved it when he stopped to point out that there was fungus on a collection of old 35mm film cameras or that there was a huge collection of remote controls for sale.

I've seen other videos in the series. A minor quibble is that the videos tends to go long, but most of the time I don't mind. Kai can get silly but that is part of his charm; you are getting the authentic person and not a smoothed over manufactured presenter.

So what did I learn?

Don't just record the environment. Actually look at where you are and find the story that is waiting to be told. There may be more than one story, the one that you intended to tell and the one that you find.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love actual comments. Please understand that comments will be held until I get a chance to look them over or wake up, whichever comes first.

Spam and other forms of hate speech are not welcome here. And due to the actions of spam bots and the people that love them moderation is in full effect.