Friday, August 12, 2011

Testing iZotope Music and Speech Cleaner

Lawdy, I got videos back up to Brooklyn because of air conditioner noise. I have been testing out various audio cleaning software. I just need to pluck out that wicked background noise and boost up those folks that mumble.

Bias Soundsoap 2 did the job on the air conditioner noise. No question, on a tough video it yanked the sucker out. I still had to wrangle with the software a bit. I did view the tutorial videos but there was still fiddling involved to get it right. Not sure if it is in the budget to pony up $99.

This time out I am giving iZotope Music and Speech Cleaner a try.

iZotope Music and Speech Cleaner
I gotta say I like the interface better. Pop in the .wav audio file, select what you want to do and adjust a slider. For enhancing the voice without distortion it was spot on; it definitely brought the voice to the front.

Reducing the air conditioner noise?

No. Not a lick.

To be fair, the product absolutely states it is a music and speech cleaner. The noise and hum they refer to are electric hums, or lower level electrical noises we humans tune out but a recording device wouldn't be able to.

This is the demonstration video from iZotope:


At $39 the price is right but at this point I'm only getting value from one module. Then again, I have a lot of record albums that need converting to mp3 audio. It wouldn't really be a waste of cash.

On the other foot, I do have videos I can't upload because the speaker voice is really low. I could go back and salvage those videos.

If I could turn off the frugal part of my nature maybe I should get both programs? Each one solves a problem that I have on an occasional basis.

Well, I have to dive in to the mystic one more time to see if there is a consumer level product that can do what I want for under $100.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love actual comments. Please understand that comments will be held until I get a chance to look them over or wake up, whichever comes first.

Spam and other forms of hate speech are not welcome here. And due to the actions of spam bots and the people that love them moderation is in full effect.