Monday, January 2, 2012

My Samsung HMX-W200 Camcorder Part 1

When a very nice person gives you a gift card to a retail electronics store what is a girl supposed to do? Just one little tiny problem. I only buy retail when I have to or need it right away.

Places like Best Buy frustrate me. I don't have one really close to me. I have to make an effort to get to the store. When I get there I am either overly helped on can't find a soul. 

Like I was thinking about buying a USB to Ethernet gizmo. It wasn't there. The Kindle Fire and iPad tablets were in plan sight but some of the alternative Android tablets that I could afford to purchase, not so much.

A retail store can only hold so much stuff. I walked around that store and I was sad. The CD and DVD section were ignored and a lot of that stuff was over priced. I'm still looking for a desktop computer but all I saw were laptops and tablets.

That Kindle Fire was calling my name again. I had to keep repeating the mantra, "Do not buy first generation." Thought about getting a Pandigital e-reader/tablet to play with but then I laid eyes on the Open Box table.

The frugalista in me led me to a happy place.

A lot of Sony's and Samsung cameras and camcorders were on that table. The Samsung was like a little red corvette. There were a lot of models but since I had the gift card and I really didn't want to make another hike to the store I looked a little closer.

Carrying a camcorder everyday in my handbag is rough on a device. I got books, pens, projects and 10 pounds of necessities. Having a water and shock proof device is not such a bad idea. The Samsung HMX W200 was $87 open box and my cost came out to be $37.

This is a commercial for the device:



I didn't know anything about the camcorder in the store. Hence, I have violated Rule 1 - know what you are buying and make sure it meets your needs.

My need at the time was getting the heck out of the store. Making a good purchase and not wasting a gift from a friend. I also had that fear about the gift card scamming that is going on so I just wanted to be done with it.

I bought it. Even though I was still wondering why there were a bunch of returns for this camcorder.

The Unboxing on the Bus

I couldn't wait so I peeped in the box as was heading home. It was just the camcorder and the strap and nothing else. No DVD, manual, A/C plug. I took at look at Sam the Geek's video to see what I was missing.  I have downloaded the manual and I don't need the editing software but I can get it if I want.

Might do that for testing later one.

Class 10 microSD card
What I did discover is that it uses a microSD card. It would like a Class 10 micro-SD card. That could be one reason folks brought it back to the store. I was surprised. It makes sense but I have a bunch of standard size SD cards. I'm not going to easily find a Class 10 microSD card and if I do that is going to cost some bucks. On the quality vendor low end at least $40 and I'm seeing prices up to $75 from no-name brands. Stick with known memory card vendors.

I'll do the testing on a $9 Class 4 microSD but that could serious affect performance. It isn't going to record as fast as a Class 10 card. It could affect the video quality.

Internal Battery
There is an internal battery that is charged via a swing out USB arm, like The Flip (RIP). There is no USB external connection point. You can't have one in a submersible camcorder.

My problem is that I have a desktop computer that sits on the floor. I will have to stack books on the floor so that the camcorder can reach my front USB port. Instead, I hooked it up instead to my Unbuntu Netbook. It charged it just fine but did not recognize it as a storage device.

It is not a deal killer. But when I run out of juice that is it. I can't exchange it with another battery.

Buying Reflection

I really wasn’t going to buy another camcorder in 2011. Very happy with what I have. I could have waited and purchased via the Best Buy web site. There was a tablet that I did like and could have saved up for it.

Truth is, I really had concerns about gift card theft. If I had taken a closer look at the card (it was still in its original package) I would have seen that the security code was covered and thieves would not be able to use it.

I had options. I could have walked out of the store. I could have bough a DVD collection of cable shows I’ve never seen.

The Samsung is a specialty type of camcorder. I’m not going underwater anytime soon but I do put a lot of stress on the objects in my handbag. This is going to be able to withstand that stress. Not a great reason to buy a camcorder but that is mine.

I think this is gonna work for me but I'm learning about my purchase. You should know before you buy but life happens. 

Going to give it a shake out test soon.

Other Posts of Interest
  1. Buying A Point and Share Camcorder
  2. Does Your Memory Card Have Any Class?
  3. Lessons on My Journey

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love actual comments. Please understand that comments will be held until I get a chance to look them over or wake up, whichever comes first.

Spam and other forms of hate speech are not welcome here. And due to the actions of spam bots and the people that love them moderation is in full effect.