Monday, December 10, 2012

Reverse Engineering A 15 Second Video

The need for quality videos is increasing. Video isn’t just for entertainment. It can be used for education, social media, business and uses we haven’t begun to explore. Which is why I can’t even name them but they will show up sooner or later.

To parody a famous line from a movie: “I got one word for you; advertising.”

No I don’t want you to make a commercial but we can learn from them. Advertisers have been making 15 second radio and television commercials for years. I personally hate bad commercials, but I cannot deny that they can be effective. And annoying.

And yet, there are times when 15 seconds is just about what you need to say what you gotta say or build interest.

Case in point;  This video from Chow.com



I’m not responsible for the content of the video. I’m guessing it is an attempt at humor.  The video does produce a reaction. Not sure it should be the WTF? type of reaction.

So, making a purse out of a sow’s ear of this video here is what we can learn:
  • Get attention; in this case using sound to guide folks into the video.
  • Get to the point and show or say what you have to say.
  • Exit, stage right.
A really short video takes just as much planning as a long form one.  A script can go a long way to help you cut out the fluff.

If I were to do a 15 second video, and after seeing the above video I’m not so sure this is a good idea anymore, but if I were to do it then it might look something like this:
  1. Two seconds of titles introducing the topic, probably an overlay of the subject
  2. Five seconds of demonstration with narration or captions
  3. Three more seconds to do it again from a different angle or present another option.
  4. One second for space or goof.
  5. Two seconds closing titles
  6. One second with blog address.
  7. One second of fade to black.
Theoretically, it can be done.

Other Posts of Interests

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love actual comments. Please understand that comments will be held until I get a chance to look them over or wake up, whichever comes first.

Spam and other forms of hate speech are not welcome here. And due to the actions of spam bots and the people that love them moderation is in full effect.