Thursday, February 17, 2011

Design Ideas For A Public Service Ad

I've been peculating on the AFRO Archive idea. I know that text and photos are going to be dominant. I need visual inspiration and design ideas. I'm not a designer.

I do know that paying attention to a few design concepts can make a video better.

Sometimes you can get design ideas from looking at old advertisements. This is a promotional ad for the ABC Evening News from I'd guess the late 1960s. It just contains text, drawings, photos and limited animation with a frantic sound track.



Idea Generators


The Advertising Council knows a thing or two about creating public service announcements. You could not have watched television without seeing a PSA or two an hour. These ads were produced by the leading advertising companies of the day so they knew how to get to a person attention. You can view some of the most historic campaigns for inspiration.

I also want to touch base with resources life Before and After Magazine for ideas about color, placement and typography.

Definitely gonna check out the retro ads at Design/Destroy - there are some trippy ads from the past I never knew about.

Dynamic Graphics was a good magazine. Yes, past tense. However the web site is still up and there is a tutorial section on how to create certain text and print effects.

This should be enough to get me started.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love actual comments. Please understand that comments will be held until I get a chance to look them over or wake up, whichever comes first.

Spam and other forms of hate speech are not welcome here. And due to the actions of spam bots and the people that love them moderation is in full effect.