Monday, December 12, 2011

A Look at Ashampoo Video Styler

Curiosity got the best of me. I saw the commercial for this product and I had to check it out. Basically Ashampoo's Video Styler is an effects generator. You can plop in a video and apply certain video effects and then export the video to video web hosting sites or to the media of your choice.


Let me point out that 90% of video editing software programs has one of more effects that you can apply to a video. Even Windows Live Movie Maker has the ability to apply visual effects.

But, like I said, I was curious. I can see in certain limited situations where this might be handy for novice users or those that have software that doesn't make it easy to apply these types of effect.

This is version 1.01 or something like that so I'm taking that into account.

Here is what it can do:
  • Change aspect ratio of videos
  • A visual method of cropping videos
  • Simple adjusting of brightness contrast
  • Effects like old movies, video in television, Sepia or Black & White
  • Export to MP4 and other formats.
I'm testing it out the trial version at the moment. I found an old video in .wmv format and applied the old video in television effect. I actually was looking for an old television graphic for an idea I've been kicking around for a while. This would we perfect for me.

Applying the effect was easy enough. Exporting than file to an mp4 video took some time. The video was six minutes and the export took almost 50 minutes to render.

When I tried to open it in QuickTime Pro it couldn't open the video. In fact, I was taken to an Apple page with a list of add-on codecs I could use to open the video.

Except I have no idea what the codec was in the first place.

I'm going to try again in a day or so. I want to experiment with an .avi and standard .mov videos to see if that makes a difference.

Related Posts

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love actual comments. Please understand that comments will be held until I get a chance to look them over or wake up, whichever comes first.

Spam and other forms of hate speech are not welcome here. And due to the actions of spam bots and the people that love them moderation is in full effect.