Wednesday, January 9, 2013

In Search of A Look for A Title Card

I'm deep in the lab working on creating tutorials on feature found in video editing software. Not that the world needs another software tutorial but there is a lot of room for improvement. God bless teenagers who make tutorials without fear. I just can't listen to a another tutorial where they say "whateves" as a placeholder; it wears you down after a while.

Anyway, this is more of an idea generator for those that want to step a little bit away from the canned look.

Keep It Simple


You can make your own titles. Your editing software might have title templates that you can use or adapt. This what one of those templates look like after I've tweeked it a bit.


The red band around the screen is the outline of the Safe Title Area where no title or anything else should extend past that point. For web video it might not be a big deal but then again a lot of viewers are porting video on their televisions and other devices.

Now I could keep it black, nothing wrong with it, but I have options.


An old school blackboard, well I guess slateboard conveys an academic or educational tone. That is one of the things you will have to consider, does the title convey the subject or feeling of your video.

I'm making a software tutorial so it can work. Then again it might turn off those that may think that the video is going to be boring. You have to think about the potential associations with an image.

The Background Should Not Conflict With Your Text

I purchased a presentation program that had a number of background images. This is one of those images, a silk type background.

Yest, the text in the block is fine but viewers can't read the white text on a blue creme background. Can't tell you how many videos I've seen that don't pay attention to readability.


This image is better suited to weddings or formal occasions. Again you have to think about your intended and unintended message that can be transmitted to your viewer.

Size Appropriately


The background image is 640x480. I'm recording in 1280x720. As you can see, there are black bars on the side of the screen. I don't want black bars.

Inside many video editing programs is a Pan and Zoom feature that will allow you to match the photo to your video's dimensions.


As you can see, the background is cropped to match the video. That can be a good thing or a bad thing.

If your software does not have a Pan and Zoom type feature you can get the same effect using a photo editing software to crop your background into the right size of your video. The beloved Irfanview or some of the on-line photo editing applications will work fine.

In this case, I've solved the bars problem but this background isn't appropriate for the kind of video I'm doing so this is the next possibility.


This is more like it, I have color compatibility, your can read the text and nothing looks wonky, i.e. I don't see pixels or banding.

I have more experimenting to do so dig you later.

Other Posts of Interest 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love actual comments. Please understand that comments will be held until I get a chance to look them over or wake up, whichever comes first.

Spam and other forms of hate speech are not welcome here. And due to the actions of spam bots and the people that love them moderation is in full effect.