Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Thoughts About Making CameraBag 2.0 Demo Video

One of the things about making videos is that at some point you do have to create a video. I have a new project that is frustrating the heck out of me. I can't seem to give up. One of the reasons I won't give up is that the road to success is paved with failures that allow you to discover new tools and techniques.

I have been trying to place photos in frames or borders without success. I discovered this program called CameraBag 2.0 and it makes the process a lot easier. I told a friend about it and decided to make a video so that I could show him what I was talking about.




My tendency is to just go do it and be done with it. It never works out that way.

So, for the record, let me state what I should have done:

  1. Take the time to write it out. I'm all for natural speech but I just scribbled my narration and improvised in spots. It could have been better.
  2. Sound quality and music: The Meteor microphone works great. I prefer to have silence in the video. The birds that live in my neighborhood decided otherwise. The first time they started chirping I stopped recording. I was halfway through and those rascals stared up again. I was running out time so I kept going; hoping they would not be heard. I used the music to mask the birds.
  3. Still getting use to Camtasia's Zoom and Pan feature. I think you have to make a conscious effort to remember the video is for the audience and they want to see want you are talking about up close. 
  4. The transitions, still trying to find the right transitions for these types of videos. I prefer subtle but the Slide Right transition seem to work for this video. Need to look into the proper use of transitions for demo movies. 
I could sit here and list dozen more errors, boo-boos and "I wished I'd thought about it more before I did it."

The point I'm making is that you have to be willing to own your learning process. That means you are not going to be perfect each and every time you are developing a new skill. You have to work on it. You have to be willing to be okay before you can be perfect.

Other Posts of Interest

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love actual comments. Please understand that comments will be held until I get a chance to look them over or wake up, whichever comes first.

Spam and other forms of hate speech are not welcome here. And due to the actions of spam bots and the people that love them moderation is in full effect.