Monday, September 3, 2012

Beware the Installation Toolbar Window

Hi folks. Have a rare official day off so I am catching up on clearing out old software and installing some new stuff.  I have some posts in the pipeline so hang tight. If you install video editing software on your computer you should know about this.


While I was installing some new software, I cam across an old bugaboo that newbies don't know about and jaded techs often forget.  The toolbar add-on.  Many vendors get some side action from other companies added a tool bar to your browser.

In addition to reducing the amount of readable area on your screen it is a bit of redundancy. If you really like Ask.com (and I ain't hating on the search engine. I used it back in the day when I was on Bloglines) you can change your default browser search engine any time you want.

I don't care for the added tracking, cookies, and sharing of where I go and what I do. I don't mind if I tell you I went to a critical thinking web site. I do mind if that is relayed to folks I don't know. I really mind if I see a bunch of add stating I can get critical thinking for half price at Shopper.com.

Anyway, before click or un-click you definitely want to read the Ask Toolbar Terms of Service.

I speak as a sadder but wiser girl who years ago had to work a bit too hard to get it out of my primary browser. I still get involuntary re-directs to Ask.com from time to time.

Related Posts

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love actual comments. Please understand that comments will be held until I get a chance to look them over or wake up, whichever comes first.

Spam and other forms of hate speech are not welcome here. And due to the actions of spam bots and the people that love them moderation is in full effect.