Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Instagram Video for Andriod and iOS Users

There seems to be a need to create social video sharing apps. I need to hook up with a cultural anthropologist to get a perspective on why this is happening at this time.

This is a CNet First Look video on the Instagram video feature:




More details about the new feature:

  • Android user need Android 4.1 to use the video app
  • Apple users who have devices that run on iOS 5 or later are good to go.
  • Videos can be three to 15 seconds in length. You can delete but not edit (trim, snip or cut) videos.
  • You can apply filters to correct or enhance the video and there is video stabilization.
  • As with photo Instagram you can share to Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Tumblr and Foursquare. 

I can't seem to confirm if the video is .mp4 or if you can take it off of a device and work on it later. When I find out I'll let you know.

It isn't perfect. Folks on both operating systems are complaining about the multiple bugs that cause the software to shut down, not record or freeze. Audio is kinda dingy too. It will be worked out in time.

I really like the 15 seconds of recording time. If you can color correct using the filters I'm liking it even more.

I'm not liking the fact that certain new organizations think this is a replacement tool for professional news gathering. Send a rookie into a story with just an iPhone and Instagram?

I see trouble. Some news stories need more time.  A skilled videographer. A desire not to reach for low hanging fruit.

I will suppress this rant for a later time.


Other Posts of Interest

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love actual comments. Please understand that comments will be held until I get a chance to look them over or wake up, whichever comes first.

Spam and other forms of hate speech are not welcome here. And due to the actions of spam bots and the people that love them moderation is in full effect.