Saturday, April 12, 2014

Quick Look at Q4 Handy Video Recorder

I have got to learn not to look at Samy's Camera ads during tax time. There I was, trying hard not to look at the Canon T3i when I saw it; the Zoom Q4 Handy Video Recorder. I thought most vendors had given up marketing the smaller Point and Share Camcorders.

What has happened is that Canon, Sony and Zoom are making small camcorders for musicians. The are concentrating on quality audio recording with an video component. What is good for musicians is also good for storytellers, journalists and archivists.

This is a video from a vendor; Guitar Center, doing an advertorial about the device.




Looks kinda tasty to me. After getting seriously burned in my workshop project by sketchy audio, I am more than willing to trust Zoom to handle the audio for me.

I like what I see, good microphones, able to monitor the audio and a detachable LCD panel. There is another video from Sound and Gear that does test the features of the camera so you should check that out as well.

Quick Look at the Specs

  • MPEG4-AVC/H.264 recording HD up to 1920 x 1080p at 30 fps. Also record 1280 x 720p at 60 fps.
  •  Line-In/Stereo Mic Input Jack, Headphones/Line Output Jack
  • USB Port for Using Camcorder as a Webcam
  • SDHC/SDXC Memory Cards 128GB You are probably gonna want Class 10 cards with this device.
$300 plus tax? If you are a podcaster that needs occasional video, reporter or a serious videoblogger this could be a good investment. I'd need to see the video before plunking down cash money but it is attractive.

And small. This bad boy on weighs 1.8 ounces or 51.0291grams for folks on the other side of the pond.

I think I need to start a new penny jar campaign just to be on the safe side should I still want to check it out six months from now.

Other Posts of Interest:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love actual comments. Please understand that comments will be held until I get a chance to look them over or wake up, whichever comes first.

Spam and other forms of hate speech are not welcome here. And due to the actions of spam bots and the people that love them moderation is in full effect.