Monday, May 21, 2012

My LAT Book Wall Revised Video

I thought about what worked and what did not in the rough edit version based on the 5-shot method. The general idea of adapting it to an edit decision list I worked really well for me.

I didn't have that sinking helpless feeling. This is the revised video:


In Service of the Story, Not the Tools

I could quickly pick out those clips that matched the requirements of items to focus on in a news like or event video. I felt  the video needed a focus point. I selected a clip I recorded of the Book Wall where folks wrote the name of there favorite books.

I used that clip as the foundation or establishing shot. I didn't have a close up of a hand so I went with someone using her had to write on the wall.  Everything else fell into place once I had a feeling the narrative embedded in the video.

It ain't perfect. If I had recorded video in mind with the method it might have been a bit stronger but hey, you do what you can where you can.

I don't want to be a master of a technique and botch the narrative. I don't think that is the point. Having a structured approach to making sure you get the story ain't a bad idea. Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

What Did I Use?
  • Camcorder - Kodak Zx10
  • Video Editing Software - Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD 11
  • On its last legs HP Pavilion Dual Core Desktop Computer

Other Posts of Interest

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love actual comments. Please understand that comments will be held until I get a chance to look them over or wake up, whichever comes first.

Spam and other forms of hate speech are not welcome here. And due to the actions of spam bots and the people that love them moderation is in full effect.