Friday, March 28, 2014

Reflections on KDMCBerkeley Video Storytelling Workshop

It is too soon for me to do a review. So much happened in three days I'm still piecing the various levels of knowledge.

It was continuous lessons on paying attention, finding the story, don't move the camera too quickly, sound quality and so much more. That sound quality thing bit me in the ass so I'm real touchy about that one.




From 9am to 4:30pm we were on the go learning to construct  a visual story. The class was designed for people who had no experience to basic skills. I wanted to take the workshop because my last formal class in creating media was in the prior century. Back in the days of analog assemble editing and VTRs.

I'm self taught on the digital side so I wasn't exactly a newbie but I did gain a lot of good information and skills. One thing I can say is that the participants of the workshop took it seriously and were very motivated to learn and to create. There wasn't a slacker in the room.

Part of that reason is that we all had to drop some $$$ bills to attend. A three day intensive workshop generally isn't going to be inexpensive. Many of us are planning to use video to start new careers or up our game in creating content for ourselves or for our employers/customers.

It was (is) an investment or future proofing obsolescence.

Will my videos be 100% better? In time, sure. That is another lesson from the class. You have to work on it; you can't sit on what you have learned and then three months later pick up a camera.

Doesn't work that way.

Practice and a strong dose of patience will take you a long way.

Other Posts of Interest



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love actual comments. Please understand that comments will be held until I get a chance to look them over or wake up, whichever comes first.

Spam and other forms of hate speech are not welcome here. And due to the actions of spam bots and the people that love them moderation is in full effect.